Wednesday, January 19, 2011

New ‘Life’ Resolution…


What would you differently if you had no fear of failing?

My Auntie Della asked me that question years ago; she always had a way of challenging me to think outside of the norm.

It’s interesting how life experiences can alter the way you perceive yourself and your future. As a child I remember being so full of life and ambitious, excited to try new things without hesitation, I was fearless. However, over the years that ambition has subsided and surfaced from time to time. Various things have become more important - school, work, bills. Unfortunately for most of us these things take precedence over ambitions and our desire to take risks.  Life becomes a routine of balancing responsibilities and making sure you’re able to take care of yourself – food, clothes, shelter, etc. Ultimately we end up complacent and content with where we are, but not exactly where we’d like to be.

I’m currently reading a book called ‘Feel the fear and do it anyway,’ by Susan Jeffers. It’s giving me great insight about how I perceive myself, and the way that I live my life.  I see how easy it is to move through life living in fear of the unknown; not wanting to step outside of your comfort zone because wherever you are at the moment feels safe. In the midst of reading this book I couldn’t help but remember the question my Auntie Della asked me. It made me think - What am I afraid of, and why? Is it fear of failure, of success, or ultimately not being able to handle whatever comes my way? But if I knew that I could handle anything, what would I possibly have to fear? The answer is nothing.  

We each have our own ambitions and fears in life - careers, relationships, whatever. Today I challenge you to ask yourself ‘what would I do differently if I had no fear of failing?’ But really think about the answer. And whatever it is that you would do differently, why not go for it? In the past few years I’ve realized more than anything, that life is to be lived, so live today. Enjoy every day, every moment, and every thing.

What are you going to do differently?

4 comments:

  1. This year I'm challenging myself to just do the things I want instead of talking myself out of things based on fear. I know there's nothing to fear but fear itself so I'm ready to ACT on this knowledge. I look forward to your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gonna check it out every day, fyi im out in LA next

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fear in how successful you can be is something I have a problem with. I know it's weird to say but that's my biggest fear, and when I'm able to drop that fear my success will become greater. That's my number one goal this year

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a handwritten note on my desk from Delorese that says "Do less; be more." When I'm my most "fear-less" I "be more." This "be-ness" allows me to express more fully my zone of genius and transform into my next "becoming." Della is always with me/us - a beautiful reminder that the questions are sometimes as, if not more important than the answers. I miss you Monique - lots of love, Richard

    ReplyDelete